Re: Resolve.conf

On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 02:19:56PM -0000, James Preece wrote:
:
:Its just gone missing, yes I am root, last thing I did was an update using
:capt and dselect.
:
:Now I have no incoming access to my box, although outgoing is fine.

Your symptoms don't seem to match a missing /etc/resolv.conf, this
file is used to specify DNS servers, if it's gone getting to the box
from the out side should be fine but outgoing you should need to
specify IP rather than host name.

for example

$ lynx http://www.ai.mit.edu
should fail while:

$ lynx http://128.52.32.5
should work

for what it's worth here's my file:

---start---
nameserver 199.45.32.40
nameserver 151.202.0.85

nameserver 128.52.32.80
nameserver 128.52.39.7

search ai.mit.edu
---end---

nameserver is the IP of your DNS server(s)
search is the default domain to use (ie if I type "ssh www" it will
resolve to "ssh www.ai.mit.edu")

-Jon