re: setting up eth1 interface

> ###network modules
> alias eth0 tulip
> alias eth1 tulip

What if you added the right IO, to the lines above ? Did you try that ?
Although I'm not sure, as far as I could tell that module didn't have
options.

> #options tulip io=0x400,0x800

This was for both cards right ?

> The options line is now commented out since neither card would work with
> that line.
>
> modprobe -v eth1   was silent, no errors or messages in /var/log/messages

If it's silent that meant it didn't do anything.

Maybe you need a different driver then the Tulip one, otherwise I would
think he'd find it (especially if you added the IO-parameters).

If you run out of ideas I found an other one:
compile into the kernel and add this to your lilo:
ether=0,0,0,0 eth0 ether=0,0,0,eth1

or something like that.
Also did you try looking at the diagnostic program at his webpage ?
http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html

And you could also try downloading the latest driver there. Compile that
and try it.

BTW, what happends if you haven't inserted the module yet (there is no
eth0) and the insert with the right options to find eth1 ?

Other ideas, not yet, maybe later. ;) (I'm sure this can work in some
way).

	Now I've gotta go and shower and get to work fast,
		Lennie.