Re: /etc/mailname ?

Jeronimo Pellegrini <pellegrini@mpcnet.com.br> wrote:
>I see there's a file /etc/mailname in my woody box which doesn't seem
>to belong to any package:

It's supposed to be created by whatever package happens to need it
first:

  http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch5.html#s5.6

>But it is read by reportbug, for example, tto find my e-mail
>address. Indeed, I've filed a bug report recently and the address in
>the report was wrong (because reportbug just picked my username and
>appended my ISP's domain name) -- the addres used was
>"jeronimo@mpcnet.com.br", instead of the correct
>"pellegrini@mpcnet.com.br".
>
>What exactly should I do?

I don't see that this is anything to do with /etc/mailname, as that
simply states your default mail domain name. You could set either the
$DEBEMAIL or $EMAIL environment variables, or use the --email option to
reportbug to tell it to send mail from the appropriate address.

You could also set up a rewrite rule in exim (assuming that's your mail
transport agent) to rewrite outgoing mail with the address
jeronimo@mpcnet.com.br to have the address pellegrini@mpcnet.com.br. If
you look near the end of /etc/exim.conf, and read bits of the manual in
/usr/share/doc/exim/spec.txt.gz, it should be reasonably obvious what to
do.