Re: Telent

On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 09:28:03PM -0800, Trainer wrote:
> I have a question. Is there some configuration that I need to make in order to telnet in to my Linux box. I have a static ip, and i can log on locally. I have the gateway configured. I get the log in thru telnet and enter root and then password. Everytime I get incorrect login I know this is not correct because i can log in locally. Can i use root to log in? I very new to Linux and Debian and need some advice.

First off don't use telnet...use ssh instead. Telnet isn't secure at all because
it's completely clear text. And yes, there are debs for the ssh system (but
you'll need a non-US deb source).

Once you've converted to ssh, edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and set PermitRootLogin
to yes. Personally, I wouldn't do that -- I have PermitRootLogin set to no for
safety; this requires me to ssh in as a normal user then su to root.

Cheng