Re: question about swap space

On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 11:40:50AM -0800, Tristan wrote:
> i am somewhat a newbie to linux, and have a question about the swap space
> i configured when i installed debian.
> I have read that i should set aside as much space as I have RAM (currently
> 96Mb), but even when i have many different programs running and or most of
> my memory is being used hardly any space is being used on my swap
> (according to top).
> What kinda of data is stored in my swap space and when is it important to
> have?

	When processes running on your computer fill up the ram the
	access information is written to your swap partition.  If needed
	it will be accessed again from there.  It's not as fast as ram
	but the next best thing.  How big you make your swap partition
	really depends on what your going to do with your computer.  If
	you have some very memory intensive tasks you add more.  I'm
	running 128 megs and have a swap partition of 100 megs but I
	really doubt the swap has ever been touched.  About the most
	intensive thing I do is compiling a kernel.  It also depends on
	how much hard drive space you have.  If things were tight, for
	my needs I would  probably make the partition about 50 megs.
	If I had lots of space 100 or so.
	hth,
	kent

--
The only normal people are the one's you don't know very well.
                                               ~Joe Ancis~