Re: Voodoo 3 on debian?

On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 01:08:20AM -0500, David Z Maze wrote:
> Chris Palmer <debian@zencow.com> writes:
> CP> Anyone running a 3dfx Voodoo3 3000 on Debian?
> CP> Just curious if it works well or not.

My Voodoo3 2000 worked fine with the older Glide stuff in X 3.3.6, and
works fine with the DRI stuff in X 4.0.1.

> I have a Voodoo3 2000, and it works fine.  I used the XF86_SVGA server
> on XFree86 3.3.6 (the version in potato), and am using the XFree86
> server in woody.  Getting 3D acceleration to work was a bit tricky
> (and requires a prerelease kernel in unstable), but the performance
> seems pretty good.  Even the unaccelerated performance on my machine
> is acceptable for, say, the GL-based xscreensaver modules.

Actually, you can grab a source RPM of the necessary kernel modules for
2.2 kernels at linux.3dfx.com, which can be built easily with rpm
--rebuild and then you can debianize them with alien and dpkg -i.  They
seem to work for me--at least, I get "(II) TDFX(0): direct rendering
enabled" when I start X, anyway.

It should be noted that the older 3dfx module does not work with the 2.4
prerelease kernels.

And, speaking of the older stuff, I would really, _really_ like to know
how I can get the older Glide stuff working in Woody!

Using the 3dfx module and Glide in X 4.0.1 results in X _locking up_.
But I can't downgrade to X 3.3.6.  I can't run XF86Setup for 3.3.6
because it requires xserver-vga16 which no longer even exists in Woody.
xf86config doesn't have Voodoo drivers listed, and I noticed that the
xserver-svga package states:

Note: only hardware not supported by the XFree86 version 4.x X server
(in the xserver-xfree86 package) is supported by this package.

I _can_ config it with anXious, and it will load, but the mouse pointer
is all messed up.

Can someone help me?  How can I use X 3.3.6 in Woody?  Or how can I use
3dfx module + Glide in X 4.0.1 without it locking up if that's possible?

The fact that I can't play Quake 2, Heretic 2, or Myth 2 anymore is
making me want to play them very badly. :P

--
Tom
"Never accept a fact until it is verified by a theory!"