Re: eximconfig option 2: why not send mail directly?

On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 09:54:04PM +0100, Moritz Schulte wrote:
> Carel Fellinger <cfelling@iae.nl> writes:
>
> > 2) direct delivery:
> >
> >   Depending on your exim configuration outgoing mail is sent directly to your
> >   ISP via SMTP or [...]
>
> To the ISP? Outgoing mail is sent "directly" to the DNS MX records of
> the given host (if the DNS MX lookup succedes).

No no, that's not what I ment, shouldn't have used that word "directly" again:)

"direct" can be used to refer to delivery 'directly' to the addressee's host
(or the host refered to in the DNS MX lookup of the addressee's host).

The other use of "direct" (at least to me as a non-native english speaker)
is to refer to 'immediate' delivery, that is start trying to deliver the
mail as soon as it is offered to the local MTA, either to a smart host or
to the addressee's host (or the one from the DNS MX lookup).

--
groetjes, carel