Re: eximconfig option 2: why not send mail directly?

Griffith Feeney <gfeeney@hawaii.edu> wrote:
>I'm in the process of setting up exim/fetchmail/procmail/mutt on Debian
>2.2. I've used eximconfig option 2, for which outgoing mail is sent via a
>"smarthost" and incoming mail is picked up from one or more POP servers.
>
>Getting incoming mail from POP servers makes sense, since I'm only
>intermittantly connected, but why not have exim send mail directly? What is
>gained or saved by going through the "smarthost"?

Apart from the other reasons mentioned already, a lot of people reject
mail coming from known dial-up IP addresses, since it's a technique
often used by spammers. Thus using your ISP's smarthost generally
increases the likelihood of your mail being delivered.