3dfx, Potato and X 4.0.1, is this possible?

I installed the stable version of Debian.

I then changed to kernel 2.4 test10, thats including all updates to modutils, util-linux etc, etc...

I stuck KDE2.0 on.

Everything ok so far sound and all.

I then installed the 4.0.1 binaries, configured it.
Now I get a screen of 640x480 at a depth of 8
(depth/fbbpp = 8/8).

I have been looking at and for config files for days and still have not come anywhere close to finding the problem, does anybody know how to solve this problem?
thanks Ian.