Re: Help nice'ing the screensaver

On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 01:55:07AM -0800, Luiz Otavio L. Zorzella wrote:

> The problem I'm facing is about the screensaver. When I'm using my X
> session, and my wife's screensaver kicks in, it hogs my CPU (not to
> speak about the memory)... Is there any way to either nice the
> screensaver (which I think it should be by default) and/or make it
> suspend itself when that particular X session is not the current one
> (which I also feel could be at least an option -- that would be even
> better, as the screensaver would be thrown to disk swap...)?

if your using xscreensaver then the `hack' as jwz calls them is indeed
niced, by default to 10, you can change this in ~/.xscreensaver via
the nice: option.

however some hacks don't really do any of the work themselves, they
hand most of it off to the X server which is not niced, `ifs' is one
such hack.  i would suggest disabling the significantly resource
intensive hacks, along with having xscreensaver nice them to 20.

the best way to do this i imagine is to run top when you notice a
slowdown and check to see if its the hack or the other X server that
is the pig, if its the server then disable that particular hack.
disable all the GL hacks.

if your not using xscreensaver, well i don't know what to suggest
other then switch to xscreensaver ;-)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/