Re: I want out!

On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 10:26:22AM +1100, Matthew Dalton wrote:
> Randy Edwards wrote:
>
> >    I've seen similar types of messages before, and the way the above is
> > phrased is rather cryptic, and of course the mail command wouldn't work on
> > a Windows system.  How about instead making the sig something like:

> > with a subject line of "unsubscribe".
> >

> There are straight forward instructions on:
>
> which is, I assume, the same place that most people went to subscribe to
> the list in the first place.
> Trouble is that these people don't take the time to read it properly,
> and then don't think to go back there to look for instructions when they
> want to unsubscribe.

Sure, but it still doesn't make any sense that all other Debian lists
that I'm on have nice clear instructions at the bottom of every message
describing how to get off the list, while the user list, arguably the
list with the largest newbie population, has a command that needs to be
run from a Unix system with a *working mail server*!  Not only that, but
the command is split across 2 lines, making it even harder for newbies
to use effectively.  Newbies are
	1) less likely to be logged in to a Unix system with a working
		mail command
	and
	2) less likely to grok the command in the first place.

So why is it that the laptop list, the IPv6 list, the devel list, the
security list, the security-announce list, and probably many others have
nice, clean instructions on unsubscribing *including* an address to
contact if you have troubles.  Here's what the other lists have:
begin quote: