Network routes

I have just started using Debian in something other
than a simple network. I'm looking for what file and
syntax I should put entries for static routes. I'm
used to RedHat and things seem to be different in
Debian. Most of the docs I've seen while researching
this refer to putting things in the
/etc/init.d/network script. This doesn't seem like a
good idea as it would get overwritten during an
upgrade and it also doesn't seem to be supported
anymore as the script looks totally different? Do I
put this in /etc/network/interfaces or what? An
example of syntax would also be helpful.

Thanks.

-Kyle