Re: email

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 10:13:07AM -0000, debian wrote:
> Thanks for that but i am still a little confused. What is the findutils
> package and which file in root/bin do I past in the line you gave.
> > do the findutils package
> > will get you the updatedb function, it is updated 'nightly'
> > by the anacron scripts.  I use the following in my root/bin directory
> > to update after I upgrade the systen
> > ____[ cut here ]____
> > #!/bin/sh
> > # dodb
> > #  Ok lets update the locate database
> >
> > updatedb --prunepaths='/tmp /proc /cdrom /mnt' > /dev/null 2>&1
> > ____[ cut here ]____
> I have used the > find / -iname \*Mail-\*
> but still cant find any of the files
> Mail-HOWTO.txt.gz
> Mail-User-HOWTO.txt.gz
> then for Admin principles,
> Mail-Administrator-HOWTO.txt.gz
> help!!
> much apreciated
> jm

You probably need to install the doc-linux-text or doc-linux-html package
to have the HOWTOs (BTW, all documentation in debian is in /usr/doc,
in the process of migrating to /usr/local/doc ).

Have a look also to info and man pages of the program to use.

Here is what I learned a few months ago, when I switched from the basic
Home-PC solution (Netscape) to a more unix-like (procmail+mutt+exim).
[I'm not an expert nor a sysadmin, just a programmer and PC Linux user]

To do e-mailing 'the unix way', you need software to perform
the following functions:

* A Mail Transport Agent(MTA) - A program which transports mail from one
machine to another

* A Mail Delivery Agent(MDA) - A program wich distributes the mail