DMODVERSIONS causing a lot of problems

Would someone kindly clarify the aspects of the DMODVERSIONS flag in
the kernel makefile?

After not getting the aureal sound driver to install, I'm so unsure
about enabling or disabling this feature the next time I have to build
a new kernel. Most astonishing is the first output of make:

make install AUCHIP=AU8820
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/drivers/sound/aureal'
cc -D__KERNEL__  -DMODULE -DAU8820 -mpentium  -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer
-Wall -pipe -I/usr/src/linux/include   -c -o au_audio.o au_audio.c
In file included from au_audio.c:49:
au_vortex.h:55: linux/modversions.h: No such file or directory

Where does the routine look for the header, the line

au_vortex.h:55: linux/modversions.h: No such file or directory

.... is not that helpful since it does not report the complete path
sought, neither does the makefile of the aureal installation routine
(the makefile in the aureal dir) contain any commands which would help
me to adjust the modversions.h path. So where does the makefile
process precisly get the option to look for the header file from?

Then, some people recommended to exclude DMODVERSIONS out of .config -
some (which?) apps would not need this option. This is really a maze.

Additional, some users in this list are complaining the kernel sources
would not contain the modversions header. The source pk on the Deb2.2
Cd's I'm currently using installed two modversions.h - one in
..src/../include/linux
and one in
..src/../include/config

Robert