Easy Killfile using maildrop

Hi folks,

This recent windoze virus nonsense has inspired me to put together a
quick and easy killfile - something where I can just add an address to a
file without having to make a new rule for each one. I though that
someone out there might like to use it to.

Please note that it uses maildrop, not procmail (as lots of people on
this list seem to use). Personally, I think maildrop is cool, and I know
nothing about procmail, so if someone wants to repost the procmail
equivalent, please feel free.

In my ~/.mailfilter file I have the following rule (up the top):

LOGFILE="$HOME/.maildrop.log"
KILLFILE="$HOME/.killfile"

logfile $LOGFILE

# Killfile
if ( /^From: *!.*/ && lookup( $MATCH2, $KILLFILE ))
{
        log "*KILLFILE* - Deleting message from $MATCH2"
	exit
}

And I have a file ~/.killfile in my home directory, to which I just need
to enter a regex that describes the From: line of the offending email
(be a bit careful with your regexes - it's easy to accidently kill too
much!). So, for example, after todays fiasco, I have the following in
~/.killfile:

webmaster@my\.netvigator\.com
hchsiang@tpts4\.seed\.net\.tw
ANTIGEN_SNOTES@

Pretty simple and easy. Certainly not sophisticated enough to stop
someone who wants to forge the From: line, but it's more to stop idiots
than anything.

Hope that helps someone out there.

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller              | Did a large procession wave their torches
Criminologist/Linux Geek  | As my head fell in the basket,