[OT] power supply meltdown, part ][

Anybody have experience with old 486 power supplies?
I've got one here on my vintage 1993 486/33, I've unplugged
the fan on it coz it was noisy and I'm too lazy to go to the
basement, hunt for a voltmeter, soldering iron, and play the
old 12->7V conversion game again. So I'm wondering what are
the chances it'll melt down, burn out, overheat? Cause a fire?
There's not too much power-hungry gear in this machine, the
hard drive spins down and the monitor blanks, the cpu doesn't
have a fan, etc. I'm hoping there's a relationship between
power drawn from the P/S and heat generated,
anybody confirm this?
-chris