Re: hdparm to increase performance

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Chris Majewski wrote:
[...]
> What about when I start netscape? I hear the disk crunching,
> so presumably the binary isn't cached. Shouldn't increasing the
> disk throughput speed up the time it takes to start netscape?

   I don't know. They must be doing something wrong ;-)  If it doesn't
then it must be that the accesses are dominated by seeks.
Fragmentation? This should not happen with ext2fs. Maybe random disk
accesses (for checking the cache?)

  Here once it's in the cache it starts in 3.4s (I don't know how it is
when it's not in the cache :-).

--
Francois Gouget         fgouget@free.fr        http://fgouget.free.fr/
                  Dieu dit: "M-x Lumière". Et la lumière fut.