Re: Solved: Now X-Windows Problem: Re: /bin/sh: /usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure: No such file or directory

   I forgot how to list the startup information (errors, etc.)
for X-Windows.  ...anyone remember how to do this?  ...might
help with a solution.  CC me with the answer, please.  Thanks.

Art Lemasters

--- Alessandro Ghigi <ghigi@math.mit.edu> wrote:

> Hi I am using woody and I am having the same problem. Last Sunday I
> did an upgrade and got the new XFree 4. Since then quite a few
things > have been getting worse and worse. The worst is that since 2
days > starting X makes the screen black and the machine locks-up.
Actually > I don't think the machine is locked, it is just unable to
read the > keyboard (and mouse). While I was looking sadly at the
black screen, > anacron started the usual updatedb and did it fine
(as far as I can > guess from the noise!).

> Other problems have been
> a) while using X, text is displayed well, but the characters I type
> are displayed too close to each other, so that it's impossible to
> read them.
> b) suspend to disk works only from time to time.
>
> Till now I have not succeded in fizing this. In case I can, I'll
tell > you.

> Thanks
> Alessandro
>

> >  From: Art Lemasters <art_lem@yahoo.com>
> >    I solved the problem by reinstalling perl 5.6 via dpkg.
> >
> >    Now there is another serious problem.  When x-windows
> >  starts up via xdm, the screen goes blank and the whole
> >  machine locks-up.  I had to use the rescue disk to mount
> >  the hard drive and stop xdm from starting to reboot, get
> >  into lynx and send this mail.  *...can't find any error
> >  messages* or anything.  This has been happening since last
> >  night's upgrade (woody).  ...any ideas?
> >
> >    Please reply to this address as I am still looking for
> >  an outside account that will handle the debian-user volume.
> >  Thanks.
> >
> >  Art Lemasters
> >
> >  --- Art Lemasters <art_lem@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >  >   I am running woody.
> >  >
> >  >   Running dselect in apt access mode, none of the upgrade
> >  > packages will install.  I also tried running apt-get.
> >  > The error message when trying to install is
> >  >
> >  > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >  > /bin/sh: /usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure: No such file or
directory > >  > E: Sub-process /usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure --apt
returned an > error
> >  > code (127) E: Failure running script
/usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure > >  > --apt
> >  >
> >  > /usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure *is* there and contains less than
> 127
> >  > lines
> >  >   How can I fix this system so that it will upgrade for
> >  > the time being?
> >  >
> >  >   Please reply to me at art_lem@yahoo.com for now, as I have
no > >  > e-mail account that will handle the volume of debian-user,
yet. > >  > Thanks!

=====