Re: Installing Debian (Potato) did not install kernel source...

iwrigb@tpg.com.au wrote:

>> Ben Collins wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 03:52:17AM +0000, iwrigb@tpg.com.au wrote: Hi, I
>>> have just switched from RH to debian, and in the process of trying to
>>> compile nvidia and creative drivers have discovered that the kernel source
>>> was not installed. (Due to the fact that the drivers could not find
>>> moduleversions.h) Is this the usual behavior for Debian installs, or did I
>>> miss something?

>>> If all you need are headers to compile against then:
>>>
>>> apt-get install kernel-headers-2.2.17
>>>
>>> If you want full source, then:
>>>
>>> apt-get install kernel-source-2.2.17
>>>
>> Hello, I just set up a new potato box for my friend, and we were trying to
>> compile his linksys ethernet card driver from source, and ran into the same
>> problem (can't find moduleversions.h). I ran `apt-get install
>> kernel-source-2.2.17` and still no moduleversions.h. Does anyone know what's
>> going on with that? It looks like it was looking in the right place. I
>> decompressed the source, made a link from /usr/src/linux, and everything.
>>
>> Thanks. -samuel

>> /dev/null
>>
> once you have the source installed, I believe you then need to "make dep" (in
> the kernel directory) I think this will create the moduleversions.h file (at
> least thats what the creative driver error said when I tried to build it).
>
> HTH (and I hope it works for me tonight) Barney

Hmm... I ran the following commands...

# cd /usr/src
# apt-get install kernel-source-2.2.17
# bunzip2 kernel-source-2.2.17.tar.bz2
# tar -xf kernel-source-2.2.17.tar
# cd kernel-source-2.2.17
# make dep
# find . -name moduleversions.h

The find comes up empty, and the linksys driver still fails to make! Does
anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.
-samuel