Re: sticky bit, powersaving & hdd spindown

Damien <bitwise@repose.cx> writes:

> i've been meaning to ask you about you suggested power-supply quietening
> technique. you said you moved the power supply outside the case, in order to
> allievate the heat buildup inside the p/s case.
>
> yet on at least my machines, the powersupply has ventilation holes on the
> inside of the computer case, which to my understanding are used to draw heat
> from inside the case. it's all very well having dual cpu fans on my athlon
> drawing heat away from the chip. but without the powersupply fan, this heat
> remains in the box, rising the ambient temperature and thus counteracting the
> effect of the cpu fan - and lowering the life of your chip.

Yeah I'm not sure about this. I phoned a couple computer stores
and they said, nah, the P/S fan only cools the P/S. On my machine,
there is a large hole near the  top of the case, where the P/S used to
be, through which hot air can easily escape.

Also, look at the orientation of the P/S fan. Is it really sucking air
out of the case, or blowing into it (depends on the machine)?

Finally, consider that  even a ventilated P/S radiates  some heat into
the case.

> rises quickly then sure the chip will probably malfunction. but the real risk
> of overclocking is the indetectable changes. in a process called ... well i
> forget what it's called :) the tiny tracks on the chip will melt due to being
>  operated above  their stated  temperature, and  then  they condense
elsewhere.

Yeah, that makes sense.
I guess it's all a question of degree(s): if you put your
chip in the oven and hit Broil, it probably won't be happy either.

> something is wrong, the chip is unsalvageable. that is why o/c'd chips often
> can't be clocked back down again.

Hm I don't see how that follows..

Another thing that has a  surprisingly direct effect on your machine's
temperature is room  temperature. So my advice is,  if you really like
overclocking and stripping out fans  and stuff like that, you probably
want to move  to Alaska (bonus: marijuana legal)  and keep the windows
open in your computer room.

OK gotta go feed the polar bears
-chris