Re: setting line breaks higher

Eric wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 09:29:00PM +0100, robert_wilhelm_land wrote:
> > Which file is responseble for breaking lines in the bash(xterm)?
> > I have looked for a sample.bashrc or anything simular (some
> > distributions provide a sample file for a variaty of programs where
> > you only have to remove the comments), but I cannot find anything
> > simular on my deb2.2.
> >
> > Afterall - which app infuences the line breaks - the bash, xterm or a
> > setting in a X11 file?
> > (this installation uses 3.3.6)
>
> I think you're probably asking about the output of programs in a
> terminal, No?  In those cases, either the programs use some default,
> like 80 characters (possibly a little less) or it finds out the width of
> the terminal through a terminfo/termcap call and sets the output to
> match.  There's probably little you can do to influence the behavior
> other than making your xterms wider.  If there's some specific program
> your thinking of, maybe you want to ask about it.  But, in general, it's
> up to whatever program is being run.

No, the problem is rather how the bash interacts with me. On a
different distribution, all copie commands with a deep directory
access are broken after they exceed the first line and continue (just
visualy) on the next line. The Debian installation by default causes
commands and their properties to overwrite the first line if the xterm
is not wide enough.

Could you help me with this?

Robert