Dual NICs, no forwarding

Got a question for the group.

I've heard at work that I am going to be asked to add a network card in our web server so that our private network (10.1.0.0) can share resources on the web server. The web server will not be allowed to forward any traffic by default. This is being done by another box. Setting up this box for a new NIC is not an issue, but had an application related issue:

Is it possible for an application running on this box, the web server, to access both networks (private net and internet)? Is there anything special that needs to be done to do so? Specifically, the application in question will be a bridge between the internet and the private net and will primarily be responding to requests from the internet side, then make connections to servers on the private net side. I guess almost like a proxy server, except no forwarding by default.

Is there anything special that needs to be done in the server configuration, or is this really a none issue?

Thanks for your time,

-Craig Coles