dpkg-buildpackage and desired target and changed config files in the build directory

Hello everybody,

I am trying to find out where to change the environment variables to get
the package build for a specific target (i.e. instead of i386 i686).
Also I would like to know how to change something in a configuration
file in the build directory and then get the build done with the changed
configuration file (because dpkg-buildpackage wipes out my build tree
everytime it runs).

Thanks in advance for any help.

With best regards

Michael Meding