Re: (sans sujet)

Simonchem@aol.com schrieb:

> i will become a debian user but i'm new in this way and i just want to solve
> a problem:
>
> i have 20 Go hard drive..debian ask to boot 40 Mo for BIOS deficient
>                                              ask me for a 128 Mo primary
> partition (swap )
>                                              and the rest for utilisation.
>
> i seems to be ok but i've got windows 98 (hmm) and i just want to use both..
> what can i do to boot between w98 and debian..does a partition can be used by
> the both..
>
> excuse for my english , i'm french ......thank's a lot   °.-)
>
> --

I did the following:

Partition 1 (4Go) --> Win'98
Partition 2 (8Mo) --> Linux /boot
Partition 3 (8 Go) --> Linux /
Partition 4 (200 Mo) --> Linux <swap>

I used the small /boot partition to be sure that lilo can boot from there (under
cylinder 1024). I partitioned the hard disk with linux fdisk, then installed Win'98
and afterwards Linux. The Problem with installing Linux first and Win'98 afterwards
is, that Win overwrites the mbr and you can only boot linux with a boot-floppy. So
what you have to do is installing  Win'98 first (did I say that before ;-)?) and
after installing linux, edit /etc/lilo.conf and add an entry
other=/dev/hda1
label=win
and run lilo. this will let you choose between linux and windows at boot time.

Hope this helps

joerg

PS.: I would have translated it to french, but I have to write on a german keyboard,
so: pas, accents, pas de cedilles, etc. Ce n'est pas tres joli coome ca, n'est-ce
pas?