Re: Linuxconfig opinions

on Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 11:44:24AM +0100, Peter Hugosson-Miller (pehu@im.se) wrote:
> A question for all Linux gurus out there:
>
> I have encountered a program called 'linuxconfig'

Surely ou mean "linuxconf"?

> which, on the face of it, appears to be a useful system tool. It is a
> curses- based program, that knows where all the various debian system
> files are, and allows root to modify users, groups, networking
> configuration and so on.

If you're talking about linuxconf, we know about it.  Most more
experienced admins frown on such tools -- it's an additional layer of
cruft between you and what you want to do.  It's a new tool to learn,
which may or may not be different on other systems.  It may introduce
new security vulnerabilities on a system.  It may automate the process
of scrambling your system state beyond recovery (a problem I had with
some early versions of Linuxconf).

I've used Unix systems since 1987, GNU/Linux since 1997, and Debian for
just over a year.  I learned more in the first two months of running
Debian -- because I was both admin of the box and *didn't* have a bunch
of "friendly" tools getting in my way, than I did in the previous ten
years of using and running Unix.  There are a number of GNU/Linux-based
configuration tools, including a graphica RPM administrator from Red
Hat, YAST from SuSER, tools from Mandrake and TurboLinux, Corel, etc.
Linuxconf is at least distribution-neutral, but I've never had to go
there.

There are a couple of tools which can be helpful -- printtol and
pppconfig are two I swear by.  But in general, you're better off getting
comfortable with the guts of config files and how they work.

My advice:  dump it.