inetd startup warns portmapper not running?

Hi,

My potato system has started warning that portmapper isn't running
during the execution of /etc/init.d/inetd at boot.

I've checked that portmap is indeed running and I've even manually
executed the logic that leads to this message. After boot it doesn't
match the failing condition (rpcinfo returning non-zero).

The RPC services are working. I can talk between virtual consoles.

All I've done recently is install security updates and packages from
the official CD-ROMS (2.2 r0). Does anyone have any idea as to why
this is happening?

TIA,
Neil Darlow.