ifconfig & route

Hi.
Why ifconfig adds route in localnet when I use it to bring up my eth0
interface? Shouldn't that be done with route command after using ifconfig?
That is what is said in networking howto and in a Debian book I have. I read
manual pages for ifconfig, and there weren't a word about this feature.
Neither did I found option for switching this feature off. I have to say
that this doesn't cause any problems for me, I'm just curious.

regards,

Petteri Heinonen
email: h157056@cs.tut.fi
tel.:  +358 (0)50 3363 286