Re: joystick

On Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 08:46:54PM -0500, jason lee wrote:
> hello all,
>   i'm new to linux and i'm trying to get my microsoft sidewinder working
> under debian 2.2.  i've recompiled my kernel with:
> make menuconfig (enabled joystick support; built-in sidewinder support)
> make dep
> make clean
> make bzImage
> make modules
> make modules_install
>   after rebooting (and moving the "bzImage" appropriately), i ran snes9x
> only to find the error "/dev/js0: No such file or directory".  i then tried
> MAKEDEV js (in /dev) & ran snes9x again -- now i get "/dev/js0: No such
> device".  what am i doing wrong?  i would appreciate any help you provide.
>
> ps after rebooting i see the following
> :
> :
> Trident 4DWave/SiS 7018 PCI Audio, version 0.14.5, 20:05:31 Nov  5 2000
> trident: Trident 4DWave DX found at IO 0xe400, IRQ 9
> ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, vendor id1: 0x574d, id2: 0x4c00 (Wolfson
> WM9704)
> js: Joystick driver v1.2.15 (c) 1999 Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz>
> :
> :

You probably have to tell the soundcard module where the joystick is.
Like

$ insmod soundcore; insmod <insert soundcard module here> js=0x200

And then install the joystick modules.

I'm not sure what the actual paramater to the soundcard is, js, joy or
something.

I think the joystick is almost always at 0x200 or 0x201.  Read
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/joystick.txt  It has info about Trident 4D
soundcard.

--
Pat Mahoney	<patmahoney@gmx.net>

Hobbes:  Do you have an idea for your story yet?
Calvin:  No, I'm waiting for inspiration.  You can't just turn on
         creativity like a faucet.  You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes:  What mood is that?
Calvin:  Last-minute panic.
                -- From "Calvin and Hobbes" by Bill Watterson