Re: Newbie question

On Tuesday 07 November 2000 14:49, Sreeni R. Nair wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I am a newbie to debian, and not familiar with dselect, dpkg and apt. Is
> there any available document or URL that compares rpm with the above
> tools (like the equivalent commands etc.)? Any help is much appreciated.

The hardest thing you'll have to do is define /etc/apt/sources correctly
(took me a few hours to figure it out for a server that wasn't listed in
debian's official mirrors list).  If you have a fast net connection (or are
VERY patient), you can use mine:

--------begin-----------
deb ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/.1/linux/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free

# This is not an official part of the stable distribution; If you don't want
# kde on your potatoe system, you don't need this.
deb http://kde.tdyc.com stable kde2

I am loving debian, now that I'm figuring out how and when to use apt-get.
It's great!

Have fun!

--
Did you know that if you play a Windows 2000 cd backwards, you
will hear the voice of Satan?

That's nothing!  If you play it forward, it'll install Windows 2000.