Re: cannot find the Kernelimage aft compiling

robert_wilhelm_land wrote:

[...]
> As far as I'm concerned most distributions and README's recommend to
> create a linux/ dir as a sub of src/ and I did so.
> In the end this makes up:
> /usr/src/linux/kernel-source-2.2.17/arch/i386/boot
> - after x-tar'ing the kernet-sourcexx.tar.gz. Usually you find a
> kernel image file in the above mentioned ..arch/i386/boot  (not the
> /boot!) and exactly there is none.
> The impression I get now is - after reading your explaination - step
> 2a/b would not work without step b/c (dpkg -i ../some-kernel-package
> needs a *.deb file) which I would rather discribe as masochistic
> because I have to learn another new kernel-build process which relies
> only on Debian and cannot be used on other distributions.

A small example of what you call "masochistic":

cd /usr/src/linux-2.2.18pre18
make config|menuconfig|xconfig
make-kpkg --revision 9:blabla kernel_image
dpkg -i ../kernel-image-2.2.18pre18_blabla*.deb

> Likewise, my
> previous kernel-build process can be put into /dev/null  because no
> one knows what exactly happens using dpkg and make-kpkg and is not
> able to tell where to find my kernel image file! Now that not what I
> would expect which I would discribe as the "linux spirit".

You can use the classic kernel build process if you want (make clean dep
bzImage modules modules_install). The kernel image will be in
arch/i386/boot.

[...]

Andrei