Re: system.map

%% Gnanasekaran Thoppae <gnana@mips.biochem.mpg.de> writes:

  gt> How do i generate new System.map file?  Do I need this file
  gt> whenever I generate new kernels and modules?

The simplest thing to do is to use the kernel-package tool to build
yourself a new kernel package, then install it using "dpkg -i".  Not
only will this put all the right files in all the right places
(including System.map), ask you about Lilo, etc. etc., but it makes
visible the version of the kernel you're using in your Debian database.

It's really very easy to use, too.

Highly recommended.

  # apt-get install kernel-package
  # cd /usr/share/doc/kernel-package
  # zcat README.gz | less

(or view it directly if you have LESSOPEN set up properly).  To actually
build a kernel, you just:

  # cd /usr/src/linux
  # make config (or xconfig or menuconfig or oldconfig or whatever)

  # make-kpkg clean
  # make-kpkg --revision=3:custom.1.0 kernel_image

(See the README for info on the epoch value (here, I used "3:")) Now you
can install the result like this:

  # cd /usr/src
  # dpkg -i kernel-image-2.2.17_custom.1.0_i386.deb

(if you have module sources to be installed, like ALSA or something, use
make-kpkg again with the "modules_image" target instead of
"kernel_image", then use dpkg -i to install those as well).

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools