using the mouse in gpm and X, was: Re: Q: Debian's Midnight Commander version problem

* Jonathan Gift <jgift@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

Hi,

[ gpm ]

> The only problem is the msg did go away, but the mouse stopped
> working in X windows... Does that mean I have to run the gpmconfig
> program?

I don't have this problem with my logitech pilot 3-button mouse.

In /etc/gpm.conf I have

device=/dev/ttyS0
responsiveness=
type=mman
append=""

and in /etc/X11/XF86Config I use

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "MouseMan"
    Device      "/dev/ttyS0"

EndSection

For cases like yours, I heared gpm has a "repeater mode". That is you
configure gpm for use on the virtual console, then you advise X to use
gpm as the source of mouse information.

But I am not familiar with this, maybe someone else can give some
advice?

> How cut and paste terminal text??

In X, you mark text using button1 (usually the left one), and the just
paste it using button2 (middle one or simultanously pressing left and
right on two-button mice).

On the virtual console it is the same, although gpm has to run for
mouse support :-)

Ciao,
        Martin