Re: OFFTOPIC weird URL's

On 06-Nov-2000 Hubert Chan wrote:
> Pollywog <croak@shadypond.com> writes:
>
>> I received a spam which promoted a website but the problem was the URL has
>> something like this
>>
>> http://2704935062/somestupid/pornpage.html
>
> The way I translate it is:
>
> Convert to hex: 2704935062 -> 0xA13A0896
> Convert each pair of hex digits to decimal: 0xA1 -> 161, 0x3A -> 58,
>                                             0x08 -> 8, 0x96 -> 150
> Add the dots: 161.58.8.150
> And that should be the address.
>
> Shouldn't be hard to wite a perl script or C program to do the translation.

There are a few sites on the net that do the conversion.  A list member
pointed one out to me, and then I went about finding an explanation for how
the spammers do it.  I found one very interesting article on Google's cache
(the original website seems to be defunct).  I thought they were converting
the dotted quad to decimal (in some cases hex) and it turned out that is what
they were doing.  I suppose the spammers have a script to do it, since
spammers don't have any brains.

--
Andrew