Compiling kernel for laptop

 I've got Debian 2.2 mostly installed on an old laptop (486/50MHz,
8MB RAM, 325MB HD). Actually, this is the second install - the first
got hosed by over-agressive hdparming. (I knew the risks... :-> )

 Anyway, I've done a lot of things to conserve memory (reducing the
number of VCs, etc.) but I want to put a slimmer kernel on there (e.g.,
no SCSI support, etc.)

What I don't want to do is wait for that poor little machine to compile
2.2.17. (The install is painful enough... it swapped continuously
all through it. "Please wait while modules are detected" ...go rake
leaves... come back, select "parport_pc"... wait... "Install this
module?" ...yes... go rake more leaves, and get ready for the
suffering that is dselect...)

 So, I sic my K6-III 400 on the kernel source (configured for m486, of
course) and copy it over. Set up lilo to boot it as an alternate, fire
it up, and watch the kernel panic on boot.

 Even though I enabled loadable module support, none of the existing
modules on the laptop would load, nor would the PCMCIA stuff happen.
I suppose the modules were compiled with modversions or something.

 OK, anyway, how do I make a kernel on my desktop that will successfully
boot on my laptop, and then add PCMCIA to it? This thing isn't very
useful if I can't use my PCMCIA Ethernet card.

 If there's a good FM to R, I'll R it. Is there good kernel-package
docs somewhere?

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles       (248) 377-7735       ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "An apple every eight hours keeps three doctors away." - B. Kliban