cannot find the Kernelimage aft compiling

Just rebuilt my first 2.2.17 kernel, unfortunatly I'm not able to find
the kernelimage(!)

The readme reports to look at /usr/src/././arch/i386/boot/ but _this_
zImage is a binary only of 25xx bytes!
There's one vmlinux at /usr/src/././arch/i386/boot/compressed/ in
0.6MB size - quite contrary to the present kernel at ~1MB of size(!).
Would this be the apropiate one ? (all SCSI stuff and IP-tunneling etc
is removed)

I'm very very pertubed because the 2.0.x kernel I recently compiled
was only a bit smaller but enclosed tunnelling, firewalling etc and
was found at .../boot/zImage. Additionally the apropiate 2.0.x
kernelimage was _not_ a executable, the present 2.2.17 kernel at
/boot/ is a executable!

Could someone kindly clarify?

Actually I'm in great need of help because I had missed to tar the old
/lib directory so the present modules are all overwritten.

Robert