Re: how to load modules at boot time

on Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 11:11:56PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman (p@belial.ucdavis.edu) wrote:
> dear all,
>
> i'd like to load two modules -- 3dfx.o and tulip.o (voodoo3 and ethernet
> cards) at boot time rather than modprobing them every time the system boots.
>
> i could do that by adding them to a local startup script, and that's the way
> i've done it for a long time.
>
> but if i wanted to be more sophisticated about it, would i add them to
> /etc/modules?  if not, what's the correct way then?

Below shows my own modules file, which loads 'auto', a sound driver, and
my NIC driver.

    # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
    #
    # This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
    # to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
    # a `#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.
    # An entry named `auto' will cause the system to start kerneld immediately.
    # Kerneld then loads modules on demand. `noauto' disables kerneld
    # completely.

    auto
    es1370
    tulip