Re: sticky bit, powersaving & hdd spindown

> I occasionally use  a 64MB ramdisk, for recording  music (actually for
> testing whether  the HDD is a  bottleneck in music  recording). To use
> the ramdisk, I say:
>
> mkfs.minix /dev/ram 65536
> mount /ram
>
> Can't remember why  I used the minix filesystem,  you can probably use
> anything you like (e.g. ext2fs).

minix is a minimal fs, that's probably why. i think there are better
alternatives in 2.4 though :)

> Anyway, try it.
> Also I  wonder if  putting more memory  in your machine  would prevent
> your program from being un-cached.

i don't think it would. linux, to my understanding, will use all available ram
for caching, when it can. it will throw out old cache (read: my program) for
new cache (read: the music the player is reading)

cheers

--
Damien <bitwise@repose.cx>