Re: XFree 4.0.1

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 09:38:52AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> ethan, it's been my experience that some tarballs don't respect where you
> want to locate them in the sense that they spew binaries, links and
> libraries wherever they please.  i've seen many games install themselves in
> /usr/local, like i told them to, and then just push their libraries wherever
> they please.

yes i have seen software like that, or rather software that has NO
options for where its installed, other then hacking the makefile that
is.  (MacOnLinux)

that is one advantage of having seperate /usr and /usr/local
partitions, i always keep both mounted read-only, when i install local
software i remount only /usr/local read-write.  if it tries and spew
crap into /usr it fails.  usually nothing tries and touch / /bin /sbin
directly...

if your really paranoid and left /usr/local in its default debian
state you could switch to a user with gid=staff and then run the
install, then you only write permission to /usr/local/*

> i haven't installed X.  truth be told, i'm a bit scared to.  but i would
> imagine that the respectible folk at xfree86 would respect requests for
> putting their package where the user pleases.

i would think so, but im not sure.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/