Re: New user rant..urr, questions.

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 02:35:13PM -0500, sysy wrote:

> >> --+ Anyhow.  I would like some user help.  I need a set of
> >> links pointing towards user stories on Debian, as well as
> >> various other user pages.  There are no links on
> >> http://www.debian.org and I couldn't find a webring with a
> >> couple of quick searches.
> >
> >interesting. i think most user-contributed help on debian
> >probably falls under 'generic linux war stories' which would
> >indeed make it hard to find...
>
> --+ This is extremely unfortunate.  I had also noticed this.
> The one thing the internet lacks is proper authoritative
> organization.  Not that I advocate dictatorship, but
> it would be nice to have recognized authorities
> (like www.debian.org) handling a webring or similar.

proper authoritative organization? hoo boy. let's
not go there. fortunately for the species homo
sapien, and speakers of english, and rights-enjoyers
in the early stages of the u.s. republic, /to each
his own/. slashdot is doing a good job in their
corner of the 'net, and others are too. diversity
is good; it's just very new still, and will take
some time to iron out the kinks.

without any 'bill says do it this way' thank you.

> >> --+ I would like to document my experiences with Debian,
> >> essay-style, to contribute to the efforts.
> >
> >please do!
>
> --+ Heh, you might regret that comment later  =)

not likely.

you can make the most egregious, offensive material
on the planet available, and if you don't force it
on anyone, delightful! we can come see it if we want.

> >for capturing an install via console, use 'script' in case
> >you're not familiar with it... not good to use when your cursor
> >is hopping all around (as in an editor or an n-curses dialog)
> >but great for capturing all the text flying by...
>
> --+ Urm, I only barely grasp what you said, but I understand
> the principle.  That's one of the things I was looking for.

i was hoping so. otherwise i'd be preaching to the
choir, which can happen.

got any specific questions about how to go about
delving into debian? any unix/linux knowledge to
pull from or are you windont/mac only?

--
There are only two places in the world where time takes
precedence over the job to be done.  School and prison.

will@serensoft.com    ***    http://www.dontUthink.com/