Re: Upgrading video card: Best of these three?

Obviously "Ingles, Raymond" <Ray.Ingles@fanucrobotics.com>  thinks that:

>  Yup. I've got a TNT and I'm gradually getting support going for it
> in my Debian 2.2 installation. There are older, slower drivers for X
> 3.3.x, but for full speed you need 4.0.

Yeah, that's *obviously* (believing what the utah-glx guys write at their site) due to those strange strategy not to give away the board specifications so the utah-glx in 3.3.6 is without DMA but the nv 4.0 drivers are, so it's obvious that they're a little faster (besides that, the 4.0 drivers consist of libgl same as of a NVdriver kernel-loadable module -binary only, of course- which *obviously* seems to do something similar to what DRI does for other boards).

>  Their *first* drivers for 3.3.x have been very stable for me, albeit
> about half as fast as the Windows drivers on my TNT card. I don't
> know about 4.0.1, yet.

I don't know if it's a problem about XF4.0.1 or about nv drivers, but, my $0.02, they could be more stable... that (and the licensing thing... :))) ) is merely the reason I am still prefering the slower driver stuff for 3.3.6 :))

>  To be fair, it's not really Nvidia's fault, they licensed technology
> for their cards from other people and don't have the right to release
> the source code for driving that stuff.

Hmmmmmm, okay, but *seems* (as far as I know) their first driver releases were open-source, am I right? Does anybody know why it changed? Legal issues?

Regards, have a nice weekend guys! :)
Kristian

"And the things that we fear are the weapons to
 be used against us." (Rush)

 Kristian Rink
 mail: afterimage@gmx.net
 fax : ++49 / 180 5052 5560 8162
=>encrypted mail welcome. contact me for pgp key.