Re: apt: prebuilt package same as src pkg + build?

> Hello,
>

> I'm a new Debian user and have a problem with apt-cache and
> dselect using the source package CDs:  They don't know about the
> source packages!  I can use apt-get to fetch and build the source
> once I know the package I want, followed by calling dpkg to
> install it.

dselect will not tell you about src packages because it is designed to deal
only with debs. It is a long goal of the Debian project to decide and
implement a tool like dselect for src pacakges.
As for apt, I believe it is a matter of configuration, although it might be
that your CDs lack some essential files for it. Yet I never tried

	apt-get source SomePckage

with s CD set so I might be wrong.