sed question

I'm trying to write a script and as part of it I need to change the "/" in a
variable to a "." and then put it right back into another variable.  I've tried
using sed but can't seem to grip these regular expressions 8-(.  Here's what I
got so far:

echo $variable_before | sed s///./ variable_after

...but that doesn't seem to work.  I've tried every possible variant (well,
not every one, otherwise it'd be working for me) and even explored awk's man
page.  Any suggestions (or the POA if you have it :-)

Jesse

POA(plain old answer)
--
Got freedom?