VGA parameters at boot (Was:Lilo and vga=mode Question)

Hello,

I am very interested in having my PC booting right into
a high resolution mode, because I have a fixed frequency
monitor. Right now I have runlevel 5 , but this means that
I cannot work in text mode, and that if some error message
appears during boot I never see it. I know about the Svgatext
mode package, but:

1) booting straight with a good VGA mode would give me
readable text before than SVGATextmode could ever do,
and would also be easier to set up, wouldn't it?

2) If this is the case, and assuming that my available mode
are something like :

> 0  0F00  80x25
> 1  0F01  80x50
> 2  0F02  80x43

how can I figure out which of them is OK for my monitor (of
which I have both datasheet and a perfectly working Xfree86
modeline) without risking to blow it?

3) If none of them works, and I still want high resolution
VGA at boot time, what should I do? Recompile the kernel? How?

4) Last but not least: is somebody using successfully SVGAText
mode with a MATROX AGP 200 and a SUN GDM1962b monitor? Could I
ask you to send me your configuration file?

	Thanks in advance,

					Marco Fioretti