Re: compress - contained in which packet?

	Subject: compress - contained in which packet?
	Date: Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 05:04:06PM +0100

Quoting Walther, Christoph(Christoph.Walther@telekom.de):
> Hi,
>
> does somebody know, which packet of the Debian 2.2 -distribution containes the
> wellknown UNIX-commands
>
> compress and uncompress ?
>
> They seem not be installed by the default-installation,
> so I couldn't find these commands in the /usr/bin-directory !

apt-cache search compress
many including
ncompress
apt-cache show ncompress
 Compress is a fast, simple LZW file compressor.  Compress does not have
 the highest compression rate, but it is one of the fastest programs to
 compress data.  Compress is the defacto standard in the UNIX community
 for compressing files.

gunzip will uncompress .Z files as well.

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)

--
Backup not found: (A)bort (R)etry (P)anic