Re: Q: Best partition breakdown one OS?

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 12:37:21PM +0100, Jonathan Gift wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Right now I have a dual boot system setup on a 5Gig drive. I gave W98SE
> 2Gig, then set up Linux in the extended partitions with:
>
> /boot 15MB
> /swap/100MB
> / 2gig
> /home 500MB
>
> The question I have is when I finally pull off Windows, how do I partition,
> especially bearing in mind the present lilo's max hard disk size limits? Do
> I set up /boot in the first partition then all the rest in the extended?

i recommend splitting off /tmp /usr /var and /home and keeping / very
small (about 64MB is more then enough) then you don't need a /boot
partition at all.

i usually do something like so:

/ 64M
swap 96 - 128MB can be larger though.
/tmp 30 - 50MB
/usr 1 - 3 GB
/usr/local 1GB if there is space and i think i will use it.
/var 600MB - 1GB /var/cache/apt gets big.
/var/tmp optional i like to have a seperate partition for this too.
/home the rest.

typically / swap and /tmp end up as primary partitions all the rest go
into an extended, but it really doesn't matter much, it might be
better to put /home in a primary partition since its supposedly easier
to find primary partitions if your partition table gets hosed...  but
linux doesn't really care or make any distinction, its purely asthetic
for the most part.

also if you have a semi recent BIOS and potato's lilo or grub the 1024
cylindar thing is mostly a moot point now (well to a point 8GB limits
are still common) i still put a 64MB / at the start of the disk so i
never have to worry about it anyway.

note about splitting /usr and /usr/local, its optional it can be handy
if you need to do a clean install, you can easily retain /usr/local
without having to tar it into /home or something.  splitting the
filesystems off has many advantages including improved security, and
better safety, this partitioning scheme has saved me so many times
now...

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/