problems w/ fully qualified domain names over DHCP

Hi,

I'm having some difficulties with my Debian 2.2 box using a DHCP-provided
IP address (with cable modem) and dynamic DNS.  (And apologies upfront for
the length of this email.) Here's the background:

I've had the system working for awhile now with DHCP by itself.
Recently, I've been obtaining a dynamic DNS address through dyndns.org
(their nameservers are even collocated here in Ithaca with me!), which
also has always worked fine; however, this dyndns.org address was a
subdomain of dyndns.org, and, since I wasn't receiving mail (i use this,
my school account, for email) or running a webserver, I didn't care that
the machine didn't have a fully qualified domain name for my own SLD.

Now, however, I've started using easydns.com which allows one to resolve
personal SLD's (that we've registered with ICANN or CORE) with dynamic
dns, and I'd like my machine to be able to recognize it's full domain
name.  If I had a static IP, this would probably be easy and I could just
place the ip address and FQDN in the /etc/hosts. However, the way I have
it currently configured (which isn't resolving the FQDN, of course), is to
only place the loopback address (as well as the names and addresses in
192.168.xxx.xxx for my other home machines) in this file.  I then obtain
my current IP address fron DHCP by having RoadRunner's nameservers in my
resolv.conf file.  The problem is that I'm not sure where to place the
nameservers for easyDNS.com which actually associate the dynamic IP
address from RoadRunner with my registered domain name.  I've tried
replacing the RR ns ip's in resolv.conf with the ns ip's for easydns.com,
but upon reboot, the resolv.conf file is rewritten with the original RR ns
ip's and I still don't have my domainname associated with my dynamic ip.

I've also tried to fully qualify the domain name in hostname (rather than
just putting the machine name), but that ends up breaking the
configuration (pump --status won't work and other network tests end up
killing the connection).  In thinking about things, I'm considering
that the answer might be in changing my routing tables such that the
default gateway isn't the roadrunner domain, but my knowledge is running
precariously thin here.

I've looked at a bunch of linuxdoc howto's and through this list's
archives, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere, and it's fully possibly
I'm making some stupid mistakes :)  Suggestions and pointers would be most
appreciated.  I've also appended some of my config files to this message
to help with diagnosing my problem.

Thanks so very much.

Take care,

Daniel

--------

[root@osprey /etc]# cat resolv.conf
search twcny.rr.com rr.com
nameserver 24.92.226.12
nameserver 24.92.226.173
nameserver 24.92.226.174
[root@osprey /etc]# cat hostname
osprey
[root@osprey /etc]# cat host.conf
order hosts,bind
multi on
[root@osprey /etc]# cat hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
192.168.0.1     osprey
192.168.0.2     warthog
192.168.0.3     tomcat
[root@osprey /etc]# ls -l default/pump
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Jul  5 13:49 default/pump
[root@osprey /etc/network]# cat interfaces
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
installation
# 3c509 card used to interconnect internal network with DHCP server
iface eth0 inet dhcp

# The second network card (tulip) to communicate with internal network
iface eth1 inet static
      address 192.168.0.1
      netmask 255.255.255.0

[root@osprey /etc]# /sbin/ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:24:11:61:59
          inet addr:24.24.20.16  Bcast:24.24.21.255  Mask:255.255.254.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:37 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:5 Base address:0x300

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:CC:E2:B5:29
          inet addr:192.168.0.1  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0x1000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
[root@osprey /etc]# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
eth1
24.24.20.0      *               255.255.254.0   U     0      0        0
eth0
default         ith2-a01.twcny. 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
eth0
[root@osprey /etc]#