Re: [OT] Mozilla and JunkBuster

on Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 03:31:32PM +1100, Damon Muller (dm-debian-user@empire.net.au) wrote:
> Quoth kmself@ix.netcom.com,
> > From the symptoms you're describing and the responses so far, I'd
> > suggest you start posting URLs of sites at which you're observing this
> > behavior.  Sounds like it could be any of several things.
>
> Just off the top of my head, from my browsing this morning, I got a
> banner ad at the top of slashdot, which (unless they changed their
> ad-server in the last 12 hours) should have been blocked. I also got
> asked if I wanted to accept a cookie from kuro5hin, but only once, and
> only when I had opened one reply to a posting in another window.
>
> I realise that's not very precise, but as I said, it's an intermitent
> problem. I'll try and take better note of it next time it happens (the
> URL and the contents of the junkbuster log).

Slashdot uses multiple ad servers, and their configuration changes
periodically.  There is a host or path on the primary server which
provides some banners, they've also recently added some Doubleclick
banners to their rotation.

I believe I block all /. ads -- they'd started running some rapid-cycle
animated gifs which I find extremely distracting.  Mentioned this to
Hemos at the time, they've got guidelines, but can't always enforce
them.  Advertising is also seperated from editorial operations.  This is
actually a problem for me, as part of my job involves watching who's
doing what, including running banners at /. <g>

If you see a banner sneaking through, check the image URL and compare it
to your blockfile.  This is the only reliable way you can determine
whether or not your Junkbuster proxy is being utilized.

Note also that enabling Java and/or Javascript may allow some banners
past.  I disable both by default for security, stability, and
performance reasons.