Re: password protect a directory?

%% Brian May <bam@debian.org> writes:

  bm> I think the point I am trying to make, is that this information
  bm> which gets logged is only going to cause confusion, created in an
  bm> unscalable manner (ie. what happens if two projects happen to have
  bm> the same name?), and doesn't benefit anyone. IMHO the logged
  bm> information is useless without the source. The assumption that
  bm> projects are either open source, or large scaled commercial
  bm> operations is not always correct, and I think this is the major
  bm> limitation with the license.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but...

The logged information isn't meant to be useful, per se, without the
source.  The entire and only purpose of the logging is as an incentive
to get people to pay for the commercial version.  The idea is that
people developing proprietary code won't want even the logging info
public, and they'll pay for licenses in order to keep that private.

The people working on free software, or managing their home
configurations, etc., couldn't care less about the logging, so they
don't pay anything.

It's just a way of associating the proprietary developer's desire for
privacy (or, as RMS would say, "information hoarding" :) with licensing
fees.

As for name collisions, I think that's BitKeeper's problem, not yours; I
don't know if/how they address that.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools