Re: X config problem causes me to have reinstall entire OS--!!new bie warning!!

"Anderson, Tim    TL33E" <Tim.Anderson@ace-ina.com> wrote:
>From:	Jim Merante [SMTP:jmerante@utm.com]
>> Is there a keystroke combination that will prompt the
>> boot commands and allow me to skip the load X windows
>> command?
>
>use c-a-F1 to switch to a virtual console, run xf86config from there.

And, if X crashes your graphics card when it tries to start
(unfortunately, it's been known to happen, in pathological cases), then
just type 'linux single' at the LILO boot prompt to boot into
single-user mode, from where you should be able to correct the problem.
If all else fails, rename the link /etc/rc2.d/S99xdm to start with
something other than the letter 'S' (for start), and X won't
automatically start at boot-time.