Re: Newbie (to Debian)

David Rysdam wrote:
> I've been using Linux for 4-5 years, but I'm new to Debian as of this
> weekend.  Pretty cool so far (once I figured out the installation
> system--different...and better!)

I've become quite spoiled by apt and friends ... and loving it!

> But I have some questions:
>
> 1) When I boot and the login screen comes up, the screen isn't cleared
> first...in fact, when I logout the screen isn't cleared either.  This
> is annoying at best and a security problem at worst (who knows what
> you might have left on the screen when you logged out).  How can I
> correct this?

To clear the screen when you logout, one way is to create the file
~/.bash_logout and put the command 'clear' into that file.  The .bash_logout
is a list of commands that get executed when you logout.  This is assuming
thatyou use bash as your shell.  Other shells may well have something
analogous, but I do not know.

> 2) How can I figure out the "code name" for my distribution?  I'm
> purposely not revealing what version number I have because I want to
> know how to *find out*--I don't want someone to just say "potato" or
> whatever.

cat /etc/debian_version
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
                      | everything is of great understanding,
'91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.